Subject: Re: I'm altering the subject of 3DS MAX Flame War
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 16:12:52 -0800

In a message dated 96-03-21 10:49:44 EST, you write:

>>What I would really like is advice on getting into the video game industry.
>>Would knowing 3DS be as valuable as I think?  Is LW more predominant in the
>>video game industry than I think?  Thanks...

   Bryant, I think you'll find that lightwave is used a little more than you
think. We're using it exclusively. We used to have some 3ds people here, but
they've switched to lightwave. It's just a better modeler for real time
environments, and as for pre-rendered clips, you can do just as well in
lightwave as in 3ds. Also, being a small startup company, we can get three
seats of lightwave for the price of one 3ds, and we get bones and lens flairs
to boot. I won't comment on max, as it is not even close to release yet. But
most of the features that have been added to max are geared towards high end
rendering, at least from the readings, this is what I've gathered. We've had
alias, 3ds, imagine, and several other programs in here - and lightwave was
by far the easiest to integrate into our system. As head of the art
department, I do all the art and music hirings. I don't really care what
program a person uses, I care about their work. If someone uses 3ds, and does
kick ass stuff, I'd hire them. The learning curve for lightwave is pretty
small, if you've already mastered other 3d programs. You'll find that that
ramp up time is minor compared to the huge amounts of time required to inform
someone of how a game system works, and how to get thier work through the
"pipeline" and into a game system. I wouldn't worry about your platform, I'd
worry about your work..